Saturday, March 5, 2022

Books in 2022: Atomic Habits

Book #10


I realize that I was knocking off fiction books nearly every week. But this post after about 15 days pretty much sums up my abysmal pace of reading non-fiction, self-help books. Yet, on the other hand, reading such books gives me a strange kind of satisfaction - satisfaction of unlocking a level of improvement in me. May be for the same reason, I feel that these books deserve more time and a specialized focus. "Atomic habits" all the more, since it talks about inculcating good habits which forms a cornerstone of one's life and a necessary key to attain success.

Primary premise of the book revolves around four ways of forming good habits:

1. Cue - make it obvious. Techniques that author suggests - habit stacking, make it visible, change your environment

2. Craving - make it attractive. Techniques that author suggests - temptation bundling, join culture (strava :))

3. Response - make it easy. Techniques that author suggests - reduce friction, optimize small tasks, progress gradually (2 min rule), automate 

4. Reward - make it satisfying. Techniques that author suggests - immediate reward, habit tracker, never miss twice

To make the book more interesting, author, in parallel, also covers how these same patterns can be used to break bad habits - cue(make it invisible), craving (make it unattractive), response (make it hard) and reward (make it unsatisfying). 

As expected from a non-fiction self-help, there were too many take-away points apart from the ones mentioned above. In fact, I fear I may forget many of them as time passes. But still, I will try my best to remember at least some of them which have potential to alter my life. 

For one, author's explanation of how forming good habits and improving just 1% everyday, finally at the end compounds. I really liked the example he quoted about an imaginary scenario of a flight going from LAX to NYC, ultimately reaching Washington DC due to a minor 3.5 degree tilt while taking off.

In another chapter, author mentions the reason as to why you should inculcate good habits. Many of us tag it to achieving goals - "I want to train because I wish to run a marathon". But author presents a counter point of tagging the reason to changing identity instead - "I want to train because I wish to become a runner (or lead a healthy lifestyle)". Once the reason tags to identity, there is no looking back.

I can confidently say that this one is must read for everyone. Looking forward to some fiction now :P

* * * * *

1 comment:

  1. Haha thanks for the blog on Atomic Habits. I parked this book on my Amazon cart since long and was sceptical to buy it reading book reviews. Does it really help to work on habits? Please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete